7.26.2010

Aberdeen... Scotland!

As ever, due for an update. ;)

So, in September Steve and I will be taking a big step - together! - in moving to Aberdeen. I still have yet to find full-time employment of the I'm-passionate-about-this! type, so after much consideration and prayer looking for work up in Aberdeen seemed the right thing to once Steve found out that he'd been offered an amazing position up there. Which I am as excited about as he! He'll be working as a research assistant on a European Commission Project (meaning its supported and has involvement from several universities across the UK and Europe, so a bit more secure in its direction and funding) on the social (culture/community) impact of land degradation in the Mediterranean and East Africa... with the potential for it turning into a PhD (which would then take us overseas). We're praying and would love all of your prayers as well! I'm ideally hoping, praying for a position with the Macaulay Institute, a research institute 'on the sustainable use of land and its natural resources for the benefit of people, their communities and the environment'. A working experience which I, along with Steve, would then love to take abroad in working with faith-based organisations.

In the meantime though, we're spending the summer with Steve's parents in the Yorkshire Dales. Steve doing his research work from home and me dividing my time between driving lessons (taking my UK driving test tomorrow!), cleaning house for a neighbour lady, various garden and fix-up projects around Steve's parents' and another neighbour's house, and - my favourite - working/volunteering at a local organic farm. And as July is quickly whirring away, looking forward to what August has in store. :)

Below are photos from our first trip up to Aberdeen (my first time to Scotland) in June, getting Steve set up with his job (whilst I was researching jobs and letting agencies).

First visit to Aberdeen via the Stonehaven Camp site... our very first tent. :) Small, but cozy (honestly, it looks a lot smaller in the picture that what it really was!).


Visiting old Houghton College friends... Rebekah Ramsay and I at the beach in Stonehaven (couple train stops south of Aberdeen).


Beautiful Coast. Looking north towards Aberdeen.


Unfortunately, between drizzly weather and predominantly grey granite architecture, Aberdeen was looking a bit bleak during our week up there...


...So it's a good thing the landscape outside of our new "Granite City" home is so gorgeous and lush!!


Steve and our local castle! Dunnottar!


My first trip to Scotland and I was already in love... so looking forward to our move and all the joys and challenges that God has in store for us there!

No comments: