8.07.2006

Saturday night Kanto Matsuri (kanto festival)...

in pictures.

Here is a Kanto website if you want to check out the history of the festival. It's pretty interesting! And being there is a whole nother world...
I can't begin to describe the packed sidewalks, swirling smells of pavement, sweet, fried octopus and yaki soba... the beat of the drums making my heart and body vibrate and the chants of the bystanders: "DOKOISHYOU!! DOKOISHYOU!!" (A cheer word that has no meaning, or so I'm told.) Brooke and I couldn't help but be swept up in the festive mood.

Brooke and I dressed up in Yukatas. The traditional summer Japanese dress. I actually bought a yukata myself, but then one of my students gave me this blue one as a gift. It's beautiful!


The drummers. All girls (for the most part). I wanted to drum. :)


Rows of Kanto


Kanto


More kanto.


Kiddie Kanto :)


This one is by far my favorite. grins


Some friendly people visiting from Tokyo.


More pictures from this past weekend to come... grins It was a busy weekend. :)

p.s. If anyone can give me an idea for where I can upload camera videos I would appreciate it greatly. And it would be cool for you too because you could actually hear the drums and see things in motion.

No comments: