1.11.2007

*sigh*

Wet clay has that affect on me. ;)

So today I met up with a local potter who'd been talking with my mom since last winter about me coming and visiting her and sharing clay knowledge once I returned from Japan. I was FINALLY able to meet her this morning. We talked for an hour or so. She looked at some pieces I brought to show her; she showed me around her studio barn (small - don't picture anything big. cute. quaint. just right. with a wood stove to keep it warm in the winter. :) ). Then she asked me a wonderful question: "So do you want to get your hands dirty?" She needn't have asked. grins My answer was somewhere along the lines of: "Of course!" I wedged a good sized ball of cold soft warm brown clay and sat down at the wheel for the first time since August. Heavenly. :) She wanted to see a little of what I could do, and later wanted to see how I pulled handles, so I made a bowl, stein, mug, and a pitcher that was supposed to be another mug but I kind of messed up the edge and so it became a pitcher. grins Tomorrow I'm going to run over with Paul (he's coming over :) ), pull my handles, and introduce him to Stephanie and Steve (the Marshalls). Fun pair. Backwoods hippies of the best sort. Perhaps who you might expect to find at the Pollywogg Holler. Or perhaps who you might expect to build a place like Pollywogg Holler. grins So now my hands have that wonderful feeling I get after having worked in clay for hours.

It's a beautiful thing.

:)

2 comments:

mike said...

and did she like your work??

Whitfield said...

yes she did. :) i went back up this morning and showed her how i do my handles. she was like 'oh! cool!' grins