9.25.2008

first run

I went for a run yesterday afternoon... the result of not having done anything "active" (aside from walking, which just doesn't count at all) for about 2 weeks. I had so much pent up energy I couldn't sit still a minute longer. It was wonderful. Perfect weather, just cold enough to be comfortable in shorts and t-shirt and break a sweat but not die of heat exhaustion. Ran down to the lake and ran along the meadow clearing beside it. I was making my way to some trails I'd discovered the other day (which would have taken me into some beautifully ivied woods and out into a meadow rich with lushy grass, old oaks, and literally countless numbers of brown rabbits), but took a detour instead. A path you've never been on is just too irresistible to pass up. (hehe Life calling??) ;) Anyway, off I went, discovering that it curled around the end of the lake (past more rabbits) and crossed over a lovely river (more like a really big creek). The water was beautiful! Absolutely transparent, inky in the shadows, with the speckled suggestion of a pebbled bottom. Really hard to take your eyes off of (though necessary when running ;) ). As I ran I eventually made my way around what the football (soccer) fields and medical school, and back again to that same river, to which I discovered that there was actually a trail that ran alongside. I figured (hoped) it would take me back to the lake, and headed that way. Again, beautiful. On one side was the river, and the other was marshland - tall feathery grasses, fallen trees... and lots of nettles (eek!). There's got to be some way of harvesting them and using them... they're all over the place here, and normally such a nuisance. It's a shame to see something so plentiful just left alone and wasted (if it can in fact be used for something meaningful). Google, I suppose. grins So, back to the running. The trail did come out where I thought it would and I made my way back to my hall, tired, sweaty, and very very happy.

The End. ;)

No comments: