11.04.2004

a letter to a friend...

Krisonda... aka Geoff,
I've recently had a somewhat small, but very significant and shaping and revealing revelation. Your friendship is the only one that has lasted from my "high school experience." Why? Aside from our obvious tie as sisters in Christ and being the amazing girl that you are, I believe it is because we have been real with each other. It has taken me nearly 3 years, and having some incredible friends at Houghton, to realize that you were the only one of my friends who knew the real Rachel. You knew my faults and loved me, you listened to my mistakes and comforted, prayed and encouraged me. You wanted the real me and wouldn't settle for less. You knew I wasn't perfect (honestly, my other friends from school essentially blew me off if ever I voiced my difficulties. Mine were never as bad as theirs, so they didn't count. They pretty much laughed at me... Rachel? Problems? Struggles? Yeah right.). And I knew you weren't perfect. And I loved you - not inspite of your imperfections, but because of them. I loved you (the real you) because you loved the real me. You showed me what real friendship was all about, and this not through descriptions, but actions. You did what I thought had not been possible... in revealing my ignorance, weaknesses, jealousies, insanities, and whatever else, you allowed me to be a real person, a real Christian person - one who didn't have it all together, like so often our churches say we should, and despite all these horrible things you knew about me - that I was as big a screw up as the next person - you loved this broken girl... Thank you... for emulating Christ's love to me... thank you for being our Lord, Jesus to me. I know the thanks belongs to Him, because it is He who has worked through you according to his good purpose... Thank Him. :) Well, by now you're probably in tears and if this was ink, it would probably be all smeared and running... kind of like mascara... grins! I have a way of doing that to you, huh? All that to say I love you... and thank you for loving me... showing me what a real friend is... and actively demonstrating Christ's love for me when I needed it most.
Love Always, BOABF,
Mutt

No comments: