11.09.2004

winter onset

Last night as I was working in the campus store, a girl walked out grumbling because she had to "go back out where the snow was." She stated it with such scorn. My eyes followed her back out of the store; I was in disbelief. How could someone be in contempt of something so beautiful? Was taking joy in this part of God's creation so unbearable? I can understand having an aversion to cold... it might make someone feel like they're going to die or turn into a popsicle or something... it makes me feel more alive - invisible ice crystals bighting my cheeks... frigid air stripping my esophagus of all it's warmth as it makes its way to my lungs... snow and frost compressing and crunching under my feet... It's stunning! Walking to campus this morning, as I observed nature dusted by yesterday's snow, I looked down and noticed that all the fur needles and leaved were etched in frost - miniature crystal encasements. There was one maple leaf in particular, who's veins had been etched as well. It looked as if they had been infused with mercury.
...So for all of you hating the winter onset right now... open your eyes and take another look...

No comments: