3.29.2006

my laptop's days are numbered

So... I've seen better days... and so has my ill-fated computer...
and because I need to vent...

I would like to drop my computer into the garbage... or use it for target practice... or leave it in the middle of a very busy road... or do what the the guys in Office Space did with their fax machine and a bat...
I can think of all sorts of creative things to do with my computer right now...
(none of which include using it as it was intended)
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

*sigh

ok. I'm better. But my laptop is not. *sniff *tear

Basically, someone wormed their way into my computer system, stole an important something-or-other "systems file" and I had to re-install windows xp (erasing my entire computer and starting from scratch). Thankfully, I was able to save all of my important files and whatnot. However, I discovered last night as I was trying to "register" my computer with windows xp, that I, in fact, cannot register it because I did not buy it. I guess it's illegal for someone to re-install windows without me buying it again (and I don't feel like selling my soul to windows). So, according to the registration thingy I will be able to use windows "for free" for another 27 days and then it will stop working. ie, my laptop will officially die. Though I must admit... at this point I'm not so sorry to see it go. Thankfully, however, the story does not end here. One of my English teacher friends here, Brooke, offered me her laptop if mine wasn't able to be fixed. She doesn't have internet access where she lives, so it's been sitting in her apt collecting dust. Funny enough, it's a good ole Compaq Armada, and happens to be slightly older than mine. But hey, at least it's functioning well.
So... anyone interested in Compaq Armada E500 parts?
Anyone know of someone who has a well-functioning laptop they're looking to get rid of for cheap? Or any good deals? Because I'll probably be in the market for one around October/November (sooner, if Brooke's laptop doesn't work for whatever reason).

oi. Technology. A love/hate relationship.

wow. Almost a month since I last updated... I'll make a real update soon. Complete with pictures if my computer is compliant.

3 comments:

Whitfield said...

It's ALL yours!! grins Glad that someone can find some use for it. Going to Houghton grad? I can give it to you then if you are. Now I just have to figure out a long term plan for replacing it... not fun.

Anonymous said...

rachel,
do you have the original CDs that came with your laptop? i can probably fix it, even if you do not have it. if you have registered the laptop before, you should be okay.. hard to explain but it seems like some of your problems are not that bad.. the anti-virus one sounds like a spam for their product. this means a trip to thailand for you! hehehehe.. and i am here on the beach, in an island, suffering the UV rays and coral reefs and schools of fish. tough life, eh? i'll walk you through some of that stuff when i get on skype.. maybe we can fix it.

Whitfield said...

No. No CDs. Houghton has them all. If Houghton registered my laptop, which I'm sure it did, it's registered. But I don't know anything, seriously. Well, maybe a few things. ;) But not many pertaining to my computer. I can't tell you how much I would love to be in the heat of Thailand basking in those UV rays and soaking up the visual sunshine of corals reefs and tropical fish.
I would love for you to help me fix it, if it's possible (sorry Dan... maybe no laptop after all). I'm too poor to buy another one! haha! Talk to you soon Sam!