1.07.2006

the future of the world is hanging on the solution to this dilemma...

or so it would seem.

;)

When given the option to circle humble on a question form that asks you to circle 2 terms which most describe you, and humble is numbered among them, do you circle humble if you think you're a humble person? But then again, isn't it said that a humble person would never call themselves humble, never think of themselves as humble, because the very definition of the word doesn't allow them to do so. And thus a humble person would never circle the word humble anyway. Isn't humble a term that someone else usually gives you. What humble person calls attention to themselves, pointing out that they are humble. As soon as they did so, they would immediately be thought of as being the opposite. But then alas, what if you are humble afterall...? And to add to the dilemma is the fact that really there are many definitions for humble, but we have an idea in our minds that is also a bit different from these definitions, yet it is usually the idea we go by... hmmm...

So, my real complaint is: Why is the WORLD would you put humble on a word choice list by which you're supposed to describe yourself?!

rrrrrrrggh

k. done venting.

5 comments:

rebequinha said...

Grrr....why, indeed? I was just talking to Amy about this last night, about why they put certain kinds of questions on tests...like her psychological analysis tests that she took (and passed - PHEW! I was worried! Just kidding...). It's a lose-lose situation, I guess...

I am praying oh-so-very-much about next possible steps, Rachel dearest! Sometimes it is very hard to distinguish when the deepest desires of our hearts are there so deeply because God put them there, or whether we need to let them be not quite so deep so that God's desires in us can take the deepest root...sigh...Yet the voice of God says, "Trust me," and I know that there is no way other than this.

Love you, Rach! *hugs*
~Bexx

Anonymous said...

next steps... that internship looks incredible. stretching and exhilarating. you've even got me interested! =)

i'm down at EMU right now, visiting a friend and looking at the justice and peacebuilding master's degree they offer. i feel like the possibilities are endless, but also that there is a specific direction God wants me to take. i just don't know what it is...

so what's a good price for a plane ticket to japan? =)

Anonymous said...

And of course, if you DON'T circle humble, then you are just attributing two other qualities to yourself, possibly even ruling out humble even more. Crazy people and their crazy questions.

I am VERY jealous of all your snowy Japan fun in your pictures. At Asbury in Kentucky there definitely is not snow, and I didn't even really get snow when I went home to Buffalo for Christmas, either. Instead, it was 40 degrees and any snow that was there melted by Christmas. Crazy.

My break in Buffalo was wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable and joy giving. It was probably the most laid back break I have ever had, and it was exactly what I needed after what was definite the craziest and most stressful finals week I have ever had (hello masters level work).

How much longer are you in Japan?

Anonymous said...

Hey Rach!
I'm reading your blog and commenting to appease my conscience for still not having properly written you! And again, I promise, I will. As becca mentioned, the whole psych-test-questions-to-compute-your-personality are dumb. Exactly because it leads one to such circular questioning as you went through. I am completely empathetic. and completely missing you!
I love you,
amy

KJBLS said...

oh, rach, you are SO humble. so am i. :-D ha ha
i love you! hope you're well! you and amy have GREAT pictures--japan is beautiful (as are you two hot chicks).
miss you! houghton isn't normal without you, even though we should be used to this by now!